My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Spring 2018 season
As before I'm collecting here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order that I saw them).
- Lupin III Part V episode 1: It's Lupin. It's not bad. I wish I was more
enthusiastic, and I also wish that they hadn't explained one
particular trick Lupin pulled (the explanation was too crazy).
- SAO Alternative - Gun Gale Online #1: That was reasonably fun and left
me looking forward to finding out where the next episode will
go. However, this episode was all background setup, so I have no idea
where the show's going to be about in the long run.
- Persona 5 The Animation episode 1: This was quite stylish, kind of
okay as an action show, and relatively incomprehensible. It feels like
a show that's only aimed at people who've already played the game.
- Cutie Honey Universe episode 1: This seems pretty clearly made for
people who are fully familiar with the CH mythology. I'm not really,
so it was mostly a parade of bizarre & relatively inexplicable
things happening, one that left me with next to no interest in the
- GeGeGe no Kitaro episode 1: That was definitely fun, in a wholesome
old-fashioned style (I'd argue even including the surprise at the
end). I'm certainly going to watch more although I'm not sure it'll
hold my interest over the long run.
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These episode 1: I'm not sure
I like any of the people we've seen so far (or the battle as such),
but it sure had me on the edge of my seat anyway and I want to see
the next episode. (Also, I hate the show's full name.)
- Golden Kamuy episode 1: Wow, that sure was a terrible couple of bears.
My eyes still hurt. Otherwise, it was okay but hard to get a grip on
for various reasons. Maybe I'll know what I feel about it in a couple
- Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory episode 1: I'm not sure what I
feel about this episode after so long, but it's got all of the Full
Metal Panic! things going for it. It's good to see these people again;
it brings back fond memories.
- Hisone to Masotan episode 1: Oh wow, that was an excellent first
episode. Beautiful, funny, touching, lovely, and really well done. I
have no words. I want to watch it again, and then see the next episode
right away. This is great stuff so far.
- Hinamatsuri episode 1: That was unexpectedly charming, in addition to
being reasonably funny every so often (which is more than many comedy
- Megalo Box episode 1: That was an excellent first episode. The show pretty much nails the feel of its genre; the only bits that feel off are the shiny pretty bits. It may be a classic riff but it's a well told one. →
This pretty much covers all of the shows that seems reasonably attractive to me, given my usual tastes. Wotakoi is getting a fair degree of praise, but its setting and genre don't usually work for me (I dropped Recovery of an MMO Junkie back in the fall, for example).
(I've decided that if I'm going to make time for any of the 'Gundam Build' series of shows, I'd rather try watching the original Gundam Build Fighters than start with Gundam Build Divers.)
Written on 19 April 2018.