My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Spring 2020 anime season
As before I'm collecting here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order that I saw them).
- Listeners episode #1: That was interesting, atmospheric, nicely
directed, and had a good climax with some interesting action. The story
felt pretty standard and I'm not sure where the show will go next;
this was all setup and background.
- Kakushigoto episode #1: This is beautiful, well made, and reasonably
sharply written, but as usual its comedy doesn't work for me (and I'm
not sure I'm a fan of the fundamental joke at its heart). It's nice
and good, but not for me.
- My Next Life as a Villainess #1: That was fun and funny, and Catarina
makes a solid lead. It's nicely put together, too (beyond being my
kind of thing). I'm very much looking forward to what happens next
and what sort of absurd situations Catarina gets herself into.
- Princess Connect! Re:Dive episode #1: This was reasonably fun and
periodically funny. It's a bit hard to engage with these people as
people, instead of cutouts, but potato-kun is definitely improved by
mostly not speaking or doing anything.
- Gleipnir episode #1: That was awkward, uncomfortable, and rather adolescent (male) sexual gaze, all of which was entirely intended. It was also pretty good; intriguing and well put together (although not flawless), with a fine control of atmosphere and quiet hanging tension. →
Actually posting this entry has been delayed because I kept thinking I would watch a few more first episodes, but so far that's not happening. I will probably see some of Brand New Animal sometime but not right away, and I've decided that Sing "Yesterday" for Me is probably not my kind of thing in general and especially with the world and local mood as it is right now.
PS: As has become my habit, I've threaded my reactions to subsequent episodes for each series that I'm (still) watching on these first episode tweets.
Written on 26 April 2020.