My brief snapshot of the Fall 2010 anime season first episodes
Another season, another flood of first episodes, some of which I've seen and some of which I currently have no interest in. Because I feel like it (and because I want to keep track and make sure I don't miss anything), here's a snapshot in an extremely abbreviated form.
Short summary of this season: I haven't seen anything yet that's likely to make Author happy .
Shows I have seen (more or less in the order seen):
- Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls: I saw the preview version of the first
episode; it was alternately interesting and annoying. The less
fanservice in future episodes the better, but I'm probably going to
- Panty & Stocking: cannot look away. Disturbingly
funny; totally over the top.
- Star Driver: I have a weakness for empty action calories and this was
at least entertaining. On the positive side, I think they intended
for the ridiculous bits to be ridiculous.
- Otome Youkai Zakuro: This had me paying attention from
the opening scene, partly because I like supernatural action shows.
So far one of my favorite shows of this season, despite occasional
- Psychic Detective Yakumo: The premise is interesting but the first
episode was just acceptable and somewhat paint by numbers. I hope that
it intended to telegraph who the guilty party was as strongly as it
did. (I wouldn't have really noticed the lack of actual animation if
Aroduc hadn't called it out.)
- My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute (Ore no Imouto ...):
It's well produced, competently done, and even funny, but I find that I
have very little interest in watching more for various reasons.
- A Certain Magical Index II: It seems to be planning to be just like the
first season. This is fine by me but may not be fine by you.
- Iron Man: an unexceptional Japanese version of American superheroics.
The original source comics are probably just as stupid (although this
cannot excuse what they are doing to the female reporter), and I like
how they get that Tony Stark is a total obnoxious prat.
I would like to wholeheartedly like this, but it really has too much stupid in it and not enough action, and the action is not really all that good. (The character art style doesn't help.)
- The World God Only Knows: competently done and decently amusing
(probably only in small doses for me).
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: the premise is sort of interesting but the
implementation is kind of generic. If I watch more at all, I wouldn't
be surprised if I got bored very fast.
- Invasion! Squid Girl: It's both well-made and funny, but I sort of
feel that I've already seen as much of Keroro Gunsou as I want to.
(Also, I find Squid Girl much more sympathetic than I ever did Keroro so I am less amused by bad things happening to her.)
One of the things I've decided is that I need to stop reading Aroduc's summaries before I decide whether or not to watch shows. Aroduc is perpetually picky about things and even though I know that he is more picky than I am, I still let his grumpy reactions influence me. It'd be better to only look at his reactions after I've formed my own.
Still going to see (when available):
- Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan second season: I watched the first season.
- Tamayura (OVA): It's about photography.
Have not watched (yet, subject to change) due to show's genre and/or summary:
- MM!: ordinary life plus sex comedy
- Bakuman: ordinary life comedy/drama
- Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
- Togainu no Chi
- Fortune Arterial: you jest.
- Yosuga no Sora: uh, no
(warning: NSFW spoilers, which really says all that's necessary).
- Super Robot Wars OG: classic giant robots, plus I don't know anything about the setting of this long-running franchise
Have not watched due to being a sequel to something I didn't watch:
- Arakawa Under the Bridge*2
- Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property) Forte
- Letter Bee REVERSE: technically I watched part of the first season before giving up on it.
Forgotten, overlooked, or not yet fansubbed: everything else.
Written on 11 October 2010.