My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Fall 2015 season
Since I want to do less of my blogging just on Twitter (cf), I've decided to collect here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order I saw them).
- Heavy Object episode 1: Meh. It's a reasonably well made, reasonably
well done generic work. You know the drill by now.
- Noragami Aragoto episode 1: Maybe I'm in a grumpy mood, but nothing in
this episode really (re)hooked me. It was okay but needed a spark.
- K - Return of Kings episode 1: It was fun to get back together with
these people, but not much actually happened this episode.
- Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry ep 1: This is a decently competent and
essentially generic instance of what it is. You know all the parts by
- Utawarerumono - Itsuwari no Kamen ep 1: All setup, no hook. As setup
goes it was okay & different than usual, but that's not really enough.
- Gakusen Toshi Asterisk episode 1: This is clearly LN based, but wow, it
actually has energy and knows how to be interesting and intriguing.
- One Punch Man episode 1: This was okay and I smiled a few times, but the
next episode better have a whole new set of jokes.
- Concrete Revolutio episode 1: However crazy and stylish this was, it was
once again a case of all setup and basically no hook.
- Comet Lucifer episode 1: At least there's something like a hook here,
even if it feels like they crammed too many obscure hints in this ep.
- Iron-Blooded Orphans episode 1: It's a giant robot war story. It's
cliched but not abjectly stupid, and sometimes clever and a bit subtle.
- Owarimonogatari episode 1: On the one hand, that sure was a lot of
talking and nothing else. On the other hand, I did stay interested in
- Perfect Insider episode 1: That was interesting in a way that most shows
aren't, even if I have no idea where it's going or what it's about.
- Garo - The Crimson Moon episode 1: I'm sad to say that there's no
special reason to care about this, no special spark like the original.
- Sakurako-san episode 1: That was decent, but it would have been a bunch
better without the LN protagonist and the need for him.
- Hidan no Aria AA: nope. Just nope. In the short amount I watched this did less than nothing to offset my bad memories of the original. ♯ (also, and I'd have been happier listening to myself about giving it a try)
Anything with a → link has additional discussion in the replies to my tweet (sometimes more tweets from me, sometimes talking with other people).
(Having done this by hand once, clearly I need to automate it for next season. Or at least do it piece by piece as I make these tweets, instead of well after the fact.)
Written on 16 October 2015.