My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Summer 2019 anime season
As before I'm collecting here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order that I saw them).
- To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts episode 1: That was a whole lot of setup
and backstory, but it was okay overall and has some flashes of
interest. We're not getting anything stunning but it might be competent
and watchable, which is sadly rare.
- Astra Lost in Space episode #1: That wasn't bad for what it was, and
it had a decent amount of subtlety (not huge amounts, but). But it had
some irritating things, and it doesn't have enough characterization
to entirely cover for them.
- Fire Force episode 1: Wow. What a feat of visuals and direction, and
the story itself wasn't bad either. I'm pretty stunned with just how
good this was & how much I enjoyed it. It gets points for being subtle,
and many points for making me really want to see more.
- Granbelm episode 1: That was certainly trying, but it doesn't feel
like any of what it could manage lived up to what it aimed for. The
result was a bit underwhelming, although still okay. It really needs
better writing, though. Please.
- Symphogear XV episode 1: Symphogear is back in all its glory and it
is very Symphogear, in a good way. I can't have asked for more from
this first episode (okay, better songs, I know that I'm a heathen
here). We even got some good stuff with Miku. (They are so married.)
- Cop Craft episode #1: Pretty much everything here was spot on
for me, especially the writing, and the show's doing all sorts of things
I like (including being subtle and having good characters). And then
that final scene.
- Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files episode 1: This was an okay
re-introduction to how Waver got here, but it probably doesn't say
anything about what the show is actually going to be like. I have
enough lingering affection to give it another episode so I can find out.
- Isekai Cheat Magician episode 1: This is a trifling confection of
nothing much, partly because it was all setup; we'll get to interesting
things next episode. But I'm okay with another run at a popcorn show
like this while my interest lasts.
- Dr Stone episode 1: That was essentially okay and it certainly has a mood, but the mood is one that involves a lot of shouting and dumbass energy, which is not really my thing in shows. And I'm sure there's going to be fighting sooner or later. →
There's a number of other shows that I've been on the edge of trying out, but this season is already busy enough. If my gut thinks that a show's premise, setup, and early reviews are too marginal, I should probably listen to it.
(O Maidens in Your Savage Season is getting very good reviews, but it's almost certainly not a show that's going to work for me. Vinland Saga, while getting quite good reviews, but I think it falls into the same category as Golden Kamuy, which didn't work for me. I may try the manga instead.)
Written on 19 July 2019.