My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Spring 2019 anime season
As before I'm collecting here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order that I saw them).
- Fairy Gone episode 1: That was a solid introduction and first episode.
It had a certain amount of exposition, but it didn't explain everything,
it had a bunch of action and progression, and it did some nice
work. I'll watch the next episode.
- Apparently I was not in the mood for One-Punch Man S2's first
episode's story this night. I will probably take another run at it
another time, since I skimmed the rest of the episode to see where it
Spoiler: I did not try to watch the episode again, partly because in reading the ANN preview reports for it I discovered that there had been major staff changes (and a decided drop in the amount of interesting animation, which matches my vague feelings from what I did see of the episode).
- Wise Man's Grandchild episode 1: This was perfectly okay, but it
is no Slime or Knight's & Magic and this episode was all setup. I'll
watch another episode to see if it gets more interesting once it's
actually doing something.
- Demon Slayer episode 1: That was a strong, well done start that makes me
want to watch more even though I can pretty much predict it's going to
get mired down in the usual slow-paced way sooner or later. For now,
it's exciting and appealing, and that's enough.
- Sarazanmai episode 1: That simultaneously made perfect sense and
very little sense, which is probably more than I expected. I have no
other coherent short term reactions except that I'm definitely going
to watch the next episode.
- [...] In theory I could watch Fruits Basket, but in practice I saw the first version years ago and I don't remember loving it so much that I want to basically watch it again (although it was a decently nice show). ♯
By this point it seems unlikely that I'll watch any other first episodes. Carole & Tuesday has been getting some good reports, but it doesn't seem like my kind of show and my results with Shinichirō Watanabe's past shows have been decidedly mixed, with me bouncing off Kids on the Slope and Terror in Resonance.
Written on 26 April 2019.