An index to my Roving Thoughts entries on Flip Flappers
Various commentary appears in my Fall 2016 first episode impressions, early impressions, midway views, and Fall 2016 retrospective. I sort of wrapped up my views in my entry on the best shows I saw in 2016. In addition, I wrote a number of other entries (in the order written):
- Where I think each Pure Illusion world comes from, which continues in an entry on episode 9 and then a wrapping up part 2.
- How Flip Flappers is using a world-building technique from science fiction.
- How Flip Flappers tells us a lot about Yayaka through visuals alone.
- Some words on Mimi in the last episode.
- Some words on the ending and what I feel about it (and the show).
I'm not sure that I've covered all of my thoughts, but since it's been a year since I saw the show my memories are fading and becoming less distinct so I've probably written my last on the show in this entry (which I described on Twitter as an attempt to put my feelings on the show to bed).
As always, see this overall index of Flip Flappers reviews and articles for a great deal of well informed and worthwhile commentary on the show.
Memorable anime in year X for me
I'm doing a slow moving series of entries on this topic, currently running from 2000 onwards although I may go back to the mid-90s at some point as well (although I've seen rather less from them; those were the days of anime clubs and spotty show availability, and I mostly haven't revisited the era since). This is an index to the series:
Related to this are my more recent 'best N anime I saw in' end of year entries. These cover what I saw in the year, as opposed to what was made in the year (regardless of when I saw it):
(Yes, yes, if my wikithing had tags and the like, these would be tags. Someday, when I'm energetic. It's on my todo list for the program.)
Some anime blogs that I read
This isn't a blog entry because I intend to keep updating it from time to time and I generally don't update entries once posted. Also, this is more of just a list than words about them.
I read these blogs for different things and different reasons. Some make me think or give me insights. Some are fun. Some make me snort. Also, this is not the complete list of everything I read, nor is it in any particular order (if it wasn't a pain, I'd sort it alphabetically).
- Ani-nouto: Author is basically responsible for getting me into reading anime blogs.
- Karmaburn: I admire Evirus's ability to be beautifully concise and find just the right phrase. It's something I pretty much lack.
- Jinx: Cannot summarize, too enjoyable. We have different tastes and different approaches, but NovaJinx has a real way with words.
- Bros Before Shows: One marker of a good (episodic) blog is that it can make stuff that I don't watch (and probably don't want to) still sound really attractive and enjoyable.
- Wrong Every Time: Bobduh makes me think even if I disagree with him. Our tastes are strongly divergent in spots, but that makes for interesting reading sometimes.
- The Cart Driver: Often amusing.
- Altair & Vega is pretty much inactive these days but it's give us some great stuff.
- anime nano isn't a blog but as a blog aggregator I find it a useful place both to find stuff about any particular show or just to scan every once in a while to look for interesting writing. But honestly, mostly I find new blogs through my ani-Twitter circle.
This omits some blogs that you've heard of already if you want to read them. See also Ani-nouto's blogroll if you want more.
(I've noticed that I generally don't read episodic review blogs very much. I have opinions on what I want here both for shows I'm watching and shows I'm not, but they belong in a blog entry.)
In addition to the ones I read but I haven't listed here, there are other blogs I have on my perpetual 'intending to check out' list and a number that I feel I certainly ought to be reading but that I haven't quite yet.
Feel free to berate my tastes, suggest additional blogs, or wonder out loud why certain ones aren't here on Twitter, where I'm @cks_anime. For reasons beyond the scope of this paragraph, I'm turning off comments for this page.
An index to my Roving Thoughts entries on Shin Sekai Yori
I've written enough on this show that I need an index for my entries. Please note that there are spoilers.
First, various commentary appears in the early impressions, midway views and retrospectives for the Fall 2012 season, and in the Winter 2013 retrospective when it finished. Next there's my actual entries (in the order written):
- Some words on Shin Sekai Yori
- Some words on Squealer
- The morality of the queerrat rebellion
- The necessity of queerrat biology
- More words on the ending
Then I made it the best show I saw in 2013 with a few words more.