My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Winter 2016 season
As before, I've decided to collect here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order I saw them).
- Myriad Colors Phantom World episode 1: Fanservice galore, which is a
negative, and no KyoAni spark of life. But okay otherwise in an LN way.
- ERASED episode 1: I came in knowing something about the premise and
with that, this was a great first episode. I want to see more.
- Active Raid ep 1: A pretty good but also fairly stock start for this
sort of thing. And wait, she's still a minor? That explains some bits.
- Pandora ep 1: That was surprisingly fun and decent in a popcorn action
way, although I could have lived without the big fanservice joke.
- Dagashi Kashi episode 1: That was fairly good and I found it reasonably
funny, but it's also clearly not my thing at all. So it goes.
- BBK/BRNK episode 1: That was a pretty good version of an action shonen.
Snappy, well done, good action sequences, doesn't waste time. Solid.
- Luck & Logic episode 1: Perfectly competent and okay but bland, with
nothing particular to distinguish it from the next action shonen show.
- As I expected, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is not my kind of thing
at all. I can see the appeal but in practice it leaves me totally cold.
- Dimension W episode 1: That was plain good in a classical adult
action show way. We have setup, characters, mysteries, everything done
- Grimgar ep 1: Slow and I could have lived without the fanservice bit,
but the setup et al is intriguing enough to earn it another episode.
- Lupin III (2015): Well, that was an abject failure. The start of
episode one irritates me too much to continue right now & probably at all.
- KonoSuba ep 1: That was okay and periodically amusing, but the characters aren't really alive yet and it's kind of flat and limited so far. →
The one remaining new show is Ajin, but at this point I'm not at all sure if I'll be able to watch it any time soon. I've also become uncertain about its genre; if it's really a horror show about alienation from humanity and the horrible things that people do, I'm probably not interested in the first place.