My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Winter 2017 season
As before I'm collecting here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order that I saw them).
- Akiba's Trip episode 1: That was decent, even sometimes good,
which is well above what I expected. It has spark for an action genre
- Schoolgirl Strikers episode 1: That was a perfectly okay but
uninspiring. It could fill the Brave Witches popcorn watch niche
this season. →
- Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga ep 1: I don't think this was particularly
good or compelling by itself, & it feels like characters got reset on me.
- Chain Chronicle episode 1: Perfectly competent with decent action,
but I found it flat and uncompelling. Nothing made me want to keep
- Little Witch Academia ep 1: It's not the OVAs but it's solid,
well done, and more relaxed; there's more time for development & fun here.
- ACCA episode 1 was a good stylish start & had a number of
interesting characters, but it didn't tell us much about where the
show is going.
- KonoSuba S2 episode 1: The best part of the episode was the little
mini-adventure in the ED. Otherwise it was all Kazuma-focused setup.
- Dragon Maid ep 1: That was quality work; nicely understated and
nicely done, and fun all the way through even when it wasn't being funny.
- Interviews with Monster Girls episode 1 was cute and nice, but I'm not sure it has staying power for me (it wasn't particularly funny). →
This covers the first episode of everything that seems reasonably promising for me. It's possible I'll look at Gabriel DropOut at some point, but it doesn't seem like my kind of thing despite its supernatural-tinged premise.
(From all reports, Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club simply doesn't have enough biking in it to attract me the way Long Riders did. Apparently the most interesting biking thing is how they're using real brands this time, instead of the usual changed-just-enough brand names and so on.)