My (Twitter) reactions to the first episodes of the Summer 2017 season
As before I'm collecting here all of my tweeted reactions to the first episodes I've seen (in the order that I saw them).
- Hina Logic ep #1: A perfectly competent but uninspiring episode in
the 'girls have adventures at school' genre. It lacks any great spark.
- Katsugeki Touken Ranbu episode 1: The action is decent but the
writing comes across as pedestrian and merely functional. It's kinda
- Knight's & Magic episode 1: This is goofy popcorn fun, even if it's not
deep or complex. Sometimes I like competency porn shows.
- Fate/Apocrypha episode 1: One incoherent battle plus a ton of
exposition, minus any interesting or attractive characters. Nope, pass.
(Then I changed my mind.)
- Symphogear AXZ ep 1: Really it's the same as it ever was. The show's
wisely not tried to top the start of last season & just gone straight.
- Made in Abyss #1: On the one hand, this was a great starting episode;
it had fun, great characters, solid writing, great animation, etc.
On the other hand, I keep hearing that Made in Abyss's story goes really grim & dark. I guess I'll keep watching until things get terrible. →
- Princess Principal ep 1: Yes, this is a bit absurd. But it's also great;
it's an excellent genre piece with lots of smart & beautiful bits.
- A Centaur's Life episode 1: This has a certain amount of charm, but
it's mostly being carried by the manga & its visuals are only decent.
- Guru Guru episode 1: Too manic and didn't particularly tickle my funny bone. This isn't for me; I don't have the 8-bit RPG love necessary. →
In the end I've decided to skip Welcome to the Ballroom, especially after the sakugablog article on it carefully threw cold water over people who wanted it to be anything more than 'a well-made high school sports show about an unusual sport'. High school sports shows almost never work for me these days.
There are a few other shows that look potentially interesting if I was really wanted more things to watch, like Restaurant to Another World and maybe Altair: A Record of Battles, but so far I'm fine with only watching this much. As usual I'm skipping all of the shorts, especially since none of them sound particularly attractive.